Friday, October 9, 2026

Reinstate David Anderson - union organizer and anthropologist

 

Dear Colleagues, 

I am forwarding this message from David Anderson, recently fired from Aberdeen University for defending fellow workers’ rights in a bitter dispute that involves disbanding many units of the university and terminating up to 100 positions. I urge you to sign the petition as I have done.

 

“As many of you already know I was forced to change my email address because my university dismissed me on 31 August as a punishment for my union work.  The university wishes to eliminate the Anthropology department along with other mainly humanity disciplines.  I would be grateful if you could sign this petition - and circulated it.  It is important not only for me but so that others union representatives across the UK do not suffer the same treatment.  If Aberdeen gets away with this the ploy will be repeated at other universities.”


The petition:

https://speakout.web.ucu.org.uk/stand-up-for-trade-unions-reinstate-professor-david-anderson/

 

Some background can be found in this BBC story. David is not named but is the “senior union official” mentioned. 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c8e3rgry9k4po

 

David is a longstanding, internationally recognized anthropologist of the north. Prior to working at Aberdeen, he was on faculty at the University of Alberta in the mid-1990s. You can read a bit about him here: https://www.uarctic.org/news/2022/3/introducing-the-uarctic-chair-david-g-anderson/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment